Paleo Whole Chicken
Here is a new entree, great for the family! This recipe does take longer then most, but well worth it. I hate the word moist, however that is what this chicken is. Go ahead, try it out and let me know what you think.
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 small grapefruit quartered
- 1orange quartered
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- pot full of water
- 5 bay leaves
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 7 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 cup and 4 tsp of ghee
- 1 orange quartered
- 2 shallots chopped coarsley
- Heat pan, add water. Take orange and orange for brine. Squeeze juice into boiling water and toss in quartered fruit.
- Add remaining brine ingredients. Once water brought to a boil, turn off heat.
- Remove innards of chicken and discard.
- Add ice to pot and let cool. Once fully cool, place chicken in pot and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, pat chicken fry with a paper towel.
- Stuff skin of chicken with thyme and ghee. 1 tsp and one sprig in four locations.
- Stuff the chicken with half an orange quartered, 3 sprigs of thyme and 2 shallots.
- In a small bowl, take the other half of orange juice over 1/3 cup of ghee. Place in microwave and melt.
- Heat oven to 350. Place chicken on a pan and brush with ghee mix every 20 minutes for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- After 90 minutes pass, bring heat of oven to 400 and cook 30 more minutes to let skin brown. Make sure your chicken is cooked all the way
I know this is a very very time consuming recipe but it is delicious. I hope you enjoy.