Eggplant Tikka Masala
Hey everyone! I wanted to try something different so I made eggplant tikka masala. It is vegan, or as far as I know. I am not vegan, obviously. It does contain honey ( so if you are against bee products as well, this isn’t for you). So from my understanding this is a plant and nut based recipe. I hope you enjoy it, but you should know it is spicy.
- 1 eggplant cut into coins (sliced)
- 3 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsp oil (for curry)
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cashew yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Slice eggplant into coins. Heat pan with 1 tbsp oil and place 1/3 of eggplant into the pan. Fry about 1 min each side. Browning the eggplant slightly. ( if you aren’t vegan; using an egg white wash will be helpful). Place the cooked eggplant on a plate with a paper towel. Repeat remaining thirds twice. Once finished pat dry.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in pan. Add onions and cook until translucent. About 3 minutes. Then add tomatoes, cook about a minute.
- Add all of the spices above, yogurt and honey. Cook approximately 3 more minutes. Stir frequently.
- Transfer ingredients from pan into a blender or food processor and blend until you have a thick curry sauce.
- Pour curry back into pan for an additional 2-3 more minutes.
- Once the curry is done, serve the eggplant with a dollop of the curry sauce atop each coin. ( it’s very spicy, so use sparingly)
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!